Read Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World by Bob Johansen Free Online
Book Title: Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World|
The author of the book: Bob Johansen
Edition: Berrett-Koehler Publishers
Date of issue: May 1st 2009
ISBN 13: 9781605090023
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 29.42 MB
City - Country: No data
Loaded: 2523 times
Reader ratings: 3.4
Read full description of the books:
Excellent Book for Leadership in Changing Times
Bob Johansen is a part of the "Think Tank" known as the Institute for the Future. Their purpose includes looking at the rapidly changing environment we find ourselves in today and projecting what the future may look like. Most companies that practise this discipline for themselves will try to go maybe as much as 5 years out, which is a significant stretch in many industries which are measured by management and investors in quarterly increments. Johansen and company attempt to go 10 years with a level of specificity that exceeds what most companies would attempt to do and of course, as well, on a much broader scale.
10 New Leadership Skills is of course, a catchy title and thought, but these aren't really "new" skills so much as they are existing skills adapted to some of the unique challenges they foresee in the next 10 years.
The 10 are retitled but shoudn't be unfamiliar to those who have studied leadership.
1. Maker Instinct is innovation and invention adapted to an environment that is becoming less dominated by traditional research and development and now seeing more grass roots creativity arising in less traditional networks.
2. Clarity speaks to leadership ability to be agile and see long term goals with a high tolerance for change and adjustment along the way.
3. Dilemma Flipping speaks to the ability to live with seemingly unsolvable problems but to manage them in a way that allows for different approaches to generate new opportunities despite the inability to solve the original problem.
4. Immersive Learning Ability is the ability to enter in to a new environment and become quickly attuned to the specific needs of the new opportunities that arise in short order.
5. Bio-Empathy which is the ability to move within a growing "green sector" of out society and economy to tie into the sensistivities of this increasing market.
6. Constructive Depolarizing is a recognition that as markets and cultures become less geographically contained that there will be a greater need for leaders who can navigate the challenges that these changes create.
7. Quiet Transparency appears to me to be a reference to what in other contexts might be labelled as Servant Leadership. It's a recognition to that in volitile and changing markets, especially those involving highly trained and specialize teams that leadership leads less by hierarchy and more by consensus of those led.
8. Rapid Prototyping again applies to innovation and agility and a leaders ability to forego thoroughness and certainty for a more rapid and risky approach in the knowledge that there will be less success but greater rewards for those successes that are forged.
9. Smart Mob Organization again ties into the emerging informal social and professional networks that changing technology is creating.
10. Commons Creating takes a different tack upon sharing assets with other competitors and professional networks.
The anecdotal stories and analysis that accompanies each section hold attention and illustrate very effectively the point being made.
So "New" may be a stretch in many regards. Certainly however these create a better understanding of the new applications of these traditional leadership skills in the challenges of the next decade and this is a very worthy read for those in or aspiring to those leadership roles.
Download Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World ERUB
Download Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World DOC
Download Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World TXT